Friday, December 4, 2015

Sweet Isochron Spells: Rakdos Charm


I've played this in: Shattergang Brothers

Quite a few of the Return to Ravnica charms are good in EDH, and almost all are excellent on Isochron Scepter. I say almost because Gruul Charm is just... not... but of all the charms, the one with arguably the most utility is our good friend Rakdos Charm. I've talked about my obsession with cards that serve as efficient, but narrow hate spells, and Rakdos Charm is in that vein, but it stands out because it has three very different, very efficient ways to foil your opponents' plans. It doesn't need to be paired with Isochron Scepter by any means. However, a tokens player is unlikely to survive repeated use of the third mode.

Some of the criteria to look for in truly sweet Isochron spells are:
  • Flexibility - modal spells - (e.g. charms and split cards)
  • Card draw/card selection - for when you're "goldfishing" - (e.g. Brainstorm)
  • Powerful, oppressive effects (e.g. Silence / Counterspell / Boomerang)
Generally if a card fits any one of these bills, you'd be happy to put it on a Scepter, and two is outstanding. I've racked my brain and I can't really think of any that meet all three criteria. Rakdos Charm is definitely flexible, and can be highly oppressive against all-in strategies with artifacts, graveyards, or tokens. "Let all feel joy in pain," indeed.

This wraps up the "Sweet Isochron Spells" theme. Hope you enjoyed some of the picks this week; I know a couple weren't totally Isochron-specific, but I think there's some good tech in there regardless. This weekend I'll be doing homework/projects, so expect new posts to start up again on Monday! In fact, I think I'm going to switch to posting on just weekdays from now on, but I'll try to make up for it with some high quality picks and discussion. All right, thanks for reading and have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment